Parents & families – welcome to the DU community! As someone who cares about your student’s success, you have an important role to play in helping your family member take the steps necessary to achieve careers and lives of purpose. One of the most important things you can do is simply encourage your student to actively engage in career development throughout their time at DU! Explore this website to learn more about the wide array of support offered to your student and check out the articles below for tips and advice.
Research conducted by Gallup shows that students who regularly engage in career development activities during their time in college have better outcomes at graduation and are more likely to be satisfied with their college experience. Additionally, our University of Denver outcomes data shows that students who in an internship or research experience during college are significantly more likely to have their post-graduation plans secured within 6-months of graduation.
The Milestones–Yearly Action Items
Your student should plan to complete, at minimum, the following items during each year of their undergraduate experience. Students in the Daniels College of Business will have additional milestones to complete during their first two years as part of the Daniels Professional Development Program (DPDP).
- Year 1 Map Your Path – Identify skills, strengths and interests to complete a resume.
- Year 2 Build Your Connections – Develop your OneDU community to guide professional success.
- Year 3 Gain Professional Experiences – Fulfill professional experiences that align with your career goals.
- Year 4 Launch Your Future – Master you DU story to ace any interview and prepare for success as a new professional.
Parent & Family Action Items
What can you do as a family member to support the career and professional success of your student?
- Encourage your student to meet their Career Advisor in their first year and also get started on their career achievement milestones.
- Is your organization hiring? Post the job or internship for a University of Denver student or alum on Pioneer Careers.
- Resist the temptation to do the job or internship search for your student, empower them to learn the skills needed for success now and into the future.