Follow the checklist below to successfully on-board your student employee(s).
Prior to First Day
- Create training & 1:1 meeting plan for the quarter.
- Schedule time to greet student and complete first day agenda items.
- Send the New Hire Survey via email. In this email, include student employee information regarding the first day such as what time to start, where to go, what to bring, and what to expect.
- Set-up access or prepare access forms (if applicable – Banner request, department copier code, etc.)
- Prepare the work area/desk.
- Place a welcome note from the department on the student’s work area/desk.
- Check with student on the completion of new hire paperwork with Human Resources (I-9 form and W-4 form), as well as PioneerWeb action items (confidentiality agreement, etc).
- Send a welcome email to the unit.
- Provide a unit overview, organization chart, a copy of the job description and the Performance Review Form.
- Review job responsibilities, expectations and who to go for help/information. Include review pay rate, timesheet and pay cycles.
- Discuss schedule, office hours, calling in sick and other procedure expectations.
- Provide training & 1:1 meeting plan for the quarter.
- Check-in at end of day.
First Week & Beyond
- Complete trainings:
- Student should complete Student Employee Orientation in Canvas. Their enrollment in this course is automatic. If they are not enrolled in this training in their first week, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org in Student Employment to gain access.
- Student should complete FERPA and Active Shooter Preparedness training in Canvas. Their enrollment in this course is automatic. If they are not enrolled in this training in their first week, please reach out to Jamaal Ahmed at email@example.com in the Registrar’s office to gain access.
- Ask student to review the Student Employee & Supervisor Guidelines and work-study student handbook (if app).
- Schedule consistent 1:1 meetings (30 min – 1 hour), either once a week or bi-weekly. Use Career Skills & GROW®
- Provide training related to equipment or processes student may use (outlined in training plan provided on First Day).
- Include student employee in department meetings and celebrations as appropriate.
- If student is work-study funded, monitor student employee work award hours and earnings (RZIWORK).
- Complete informal Performance Check-In at the end of the quarter to recap work, accomplishments and development opportunities so far.
- Complete annual Performance Evaluation and include GROW® Questions.
Questions? Reach out to Student Employment (firstname.lastname@example.org).