Do you like to look at data sets to find trends and tendencies? Do you like dealing with complex, multi-variable problems using cutting-edge analytics?
Xcel Energy is looking for smart, innovative advanced analytics/ data science interns with analytical, modeling and machine learning skills to join our newly developed team. We conduct research and development in data mining and machine learning techniques to solve complex problems and then implement scalable solutions in data-driven environments.
Data exploration skills are essential to this position. The ability to look through data, draw conclusions from data and apply the appropriate statistical techniques to the data is imperative to this position. We are looking for analytical thinkers that can quickly get a feel for our data and have the ability to work with minimal direction and a quick turnaround. We want you to bring fresh ideas to our team and help us to improve our processes.
- Data Exploration skills; data wrangling, ability to look through data, assess data quality and draw conclusions from the data
- SQL proficiency
- Experience assessing data quality
- Applying appropriate statistical techniques to data exploration
- Experience with feature engineering
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s program for Business Analytics, Data Science, or similar program
- Experience working with large data sets, especially with Hadoop and Spark
- Experience with data visualization tools/languages such as Power BI, SAP Lumira, D3.js
- Solid understanding of foundational statistics concepts and algorithms: linear/logistic regression, random forest, boosting, ANN’s, etc.
- Passion for learning (new problem domains, algorithms, tools etc) and for analyzing data
- Ability to access, manage, transfer, integrate and analyze complex datasets, especially using SQL
- Familiarity with libraries such as SparkML, scikit-learn
- Fluency with Python
- Fluency with PySpark
- Fluency with Pig/Hive
- Machine learning experience
- Statistics experience
- Utility experience
**Assessment required before candidate consideration**