Upturn promotes equity and justice in the design, governance, and use of digital technology. Our research and advocacy combines technical fluency and creative policy thinking to confront patterns of inequity, especially those rooted in race and poverty.
We work in partnership with many of the nation’s leading civil rights and public interest organizations. Our most notable work includes:
- Challenging the development of real-time face recognition on police body-worn cameras;
- Persuading Google to ban online payday loan ads, together with financial justice advocates;
- Spurring Facebook to take steps to prevent racial discrimination by online advertisers;
- Scrutinizing the role of automated risk assessment tools in the movement to end cash bail; and
- Developing the landmark Civil Rights Principles for the Era of Big Data.
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Washington, DC.
About the Position
You will be joining a small and growing organization that is collaborative, energetic, and fun. We will actively support your professional development in the field.
- We provide a competitive salary, and a generous and comprehensive benefits package;
- We will invest in your professional growth, through training, feedback, and support;
- We are actively committed to building an inclusive, flexible and welcoming workplace; and
- We have a transparent culture and strive to include our entire staff when making strategic decisions.
This research position is ideal for someone with at least a year of relevant experience who is excited about timely, interdisciplinary research on a range of topics related to technology, policy, and equity. You will:
- Define and conduct policy research and advocacy, in collaboration with other members of the team and our partner organizations;
- Write public reports, op-eds, and blog posts, and contribute to our weekly newsletter;
- Develop deep expertise in one or more priority issue areas; and
- Represent Upturn at external meetings, workshops, and other events.
We welcome applicants from a broad range of disciplines, with a bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience. More specifically, we're looking for someone who is:
- Committed to advancing racial and economic justice;
- Skilled at explaining the nuts and bolts of new technology;
- A clear written and verbal communicator;
- An organized, detailed-oriented, and instinctively curious researcher;
- Dedicated to building collaborative relationships across communities, especially in communities of color; and
- Passionate about understanding the growing impact of technology on people's lives.
We strongly encourage people of color, women, and LGBTQ applicants to apply.
How to Apply
Email email@example.com with:
- A cover letter that tells us why you're the right person for the job. Be creative, and be concise.
- Your resume;
- One to three recent work samples. Writing samples are preferred, but we also encourage you to show us other relevant skills;
- Your full name and "Policy Analyst" in the subject line.
See other open job opportunities at Upturn.