U.S. Department of Transportation Paid Summer Internship Opportunities — Washington, D.C.
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Research Library and National Transportation Library (NTL), both located in the Washington, D.C. area, are seeking students pursuing MLIS degrees (or equivalents) for paid, full-time internships for the period June 3 - August 9, 2019. These internships are being offered as part of the United States Department of Transportation’s Summer Transportation Internship Program for Diverse Groups (STIPDG). The internships include a $5,000 stipend, along with travel (relocation) arrangements and shared housing for participants whose permanent residences are more than 50 miles away from their assignment locations. The deadline for submitting an application is January 22, 2019. For more information on the program, including requirements and application instructions, please see: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/education/stipdg.cfm. If you have further questions about applying, please send an email to DOTSTIPDG@twc.edu. For questions about specific positions and projects, please refer to the contact information below.
When applying for the following positions, please select your interest areas as the “Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)” and/or the “Office of the Assistant Secretary for Research and Technology (OST-R),” each with the specialty “Library Science.”
CATALOGING/METADATA INTERN (Federal Highway Administration Research Library, McLean, VA)
1. Perform simple and complex cataloging for print and digital publications; assign subject headings and call numbers.
2. Look up agency publications to determine if they are in the catalog/repository and upload documents as necessary.
3. Edit catalog and repository metadata to ensure accuracy and improved access to agency publications.
4. Assist with other cataloging, collection, and research activities as needed.
Coursework and/or experience in cataloging; Familiarity and/or experience with MARC, RDA, Dublin Core, AACR2, and LC Subject Headings, Authorities, and Classification System; Experience searching bibliographic and research database/repositories; Excellent communication, organizational, and analytical skills; Willingness to adapt to changing situations and take on new tasks; Ability to meet established deadlines with products that reflect professionalism.
Contact: Deena Yerushalmi, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-493-3058
Library Website: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/research/library/
DIGITAL ARCHIVING INTERN (National Transportation Library, Washington, DC)
Metadata, Collection Analysis, and Digital Preservation
1. Identify, evaluate, and process legacy content of historical significance for long term digital preservation. Content may include audio files, research datasets, reports, still images, and memos. Migrate formats as needed to preserve usefulness, apply metadata, and add to transportation collections in NTL’s digital repository. Assess records for duplication, metadata quality and adherence to NTL metadata policy. Create finding aids. Work with NTL Metadata Librarians on authority control projects, such as improving the integration of digital object identifiers into NTL systems.
2. Participate in workflow assessment for web-archiving. Work with NTL Digital Librarian and NTL Data Curator to develop a policy for transportation web content and identify best practices using Internet Archive’s Archive-IT service.
3. Assist in furthering NTL’s social media efforts to promote library resources and services.
Coursework and/or experience in metadata, cataloging, and indexing; digital preservation; knowledge of and/or familiarity with non-MARC metadata (e.g., Dublin Core). Familiarity and/or experience with digital storage, open access processes and collection assessment. Candidate should possess strong organizational and analytical skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to meet established deadlines with products that reflect professionalism.
Contact: Mary Moulton, email@example.com, 202-366-0303
Library Website: http://ntl.bts.gov