This position oversees accounting and reporting for Colorado PERA's defined contribution and deferred compensation trust funds. Recommends process improvements and engages in projects to contribute to division goals. Responsible for auditing transactions, reconciling accounts, analyzing reports and preparing journal entries and financial reports.
Our ideal candidate is a reliable team player who is process oriented and communicates effectively. We are looking for someone that is detail oriented, takes initiative in problem solving, and is comfortable with changing directions as needed.
- Performs account analysis and reconciles account balances
- Analyzes, compiles, and produces financial statements and managerial reports
- Verifies data and prepares journal entries
- Reads and interprets written policies and procedures and utilizes professional judgment
- Audits transactions, identifies errors, researches and reconciles discrepancies
- Corresponds with custodial bank, record-keeper, investment managers and internal parties to resolve discrepancies
- Comprehends, communicates, and explains complex information effectively both verbally and in writing
- Reports the status of unresolved issues to management as necessary
- Manages multiple priorities and meets competing deadlines
- Creates and maintains spreadsheet files
- Maintains/updates procedures and recommends process improvements
- Engages in projects to contribute to the development and efficiency of the division
- Cross trains on and supports other accounting functions
- Participates in training and educational opportunities for ongoing professional development
- Provides requested information to internal and external auditors
- Maintains regular and prompt attendance in the workplace
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or other related field preferred; three years general ledger accounting and/or auditing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
- Knowledge of accounting software; experience working with PeopleSoft Financials and N-Vision preferred
- Experience with public pension, finance, or government accounting preferred
- Experience working with 401K or other defined contribution retirement funds preferred
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and work with minimum supervision, and within a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills with attention to detail
- Data entry and proofreading skills
- Standard office environment with regular computer and telephone use
Health Insurance is 100% employer paid, generous paid time off as well as paid volunteer hours, PERA defined benefit plan, 401(k) and 457 defined contribution plans, tuition assistance, certifications, on-the-job training, free access to on-site fitness center, free on-site parking or RTD subsidy, and more. For more information, please visit www.copera.org/careers.
HOW TO APPLY Complete the employment application online at https://www.copera.org/careers. Please have copies of your resume and cover letter to upload. Please review the following questions. You will be asked for a response to these as part of your application:
- Describe any experiences where you've had to determine how a transaction should flow through a general ledger system.
- How do you minimize the risk for errors in your work?
- Describe how you communicate with others when relaying complex information that may be difficult for them to understand. Please give an example.
- While doing monotonous or repetitive work, how do you stay focused and alert?
ABOUT COLORADO PERA
Colorado Public Employees' Retirement Association (PERA) provides retirement and other benefits to the employees of more than 500 government agencies and public entities in the state of Colorado. Our main office is located in Denver; where 300 days of sunshine, a thriving cultural scene, diverse neighborhoods, and natural beauty combine to make it the nation's top city in which to live, work, and play. PERA is a vital and stable contributor to Colorado's economy.
Our mission is to promote long-term financial security for our membership while maintaining the stability of the fund. Our vision is to become the retirement plan of choice for all Colorado public employees.
At PERA, you can be part of a dynamic, collaborative group of professionals working to fulfill the retirement expectations of our members. You will use your unique skills to do important and meaningful work that is critical to the success of both the organization and the state of Colorado that you love. You will have the opportunity to develop, become an expert in your role, and tackle new challenges, all while enjoying the competitive compensation, lifestyle, and stability that PERA provides. Thus, for both member and employees, PERA represents "One of Colorado's Best Investments."
Position Title: Accountant II
Division: Accounting - Reporting
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Job Status: Full Time, Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Posting Dates: 8/2/2019 Until Filled
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.