Want to see what the real House of Cards is like? Paid legislative aide positions will soon be available at the Colorado State Capitol with Republican representatives of the Colorado General Assembly. These entry-level positions offer valuable work experience, networking opportunities and exposure to the political process in Colorado. Aides are compensated at a rate of $12.50 per hour. Aides are typically asked to work 20 – 35 hours per week and would need to be available from late December through May for the 2018 Legislative Session.
The most successful aides are those who have strong writing skills and previous customer service or administrative experience. Applicants should also have basic computer skills and an interest in the legislative process. Also, you should be well versed in social media such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Duties typically include:
· Setting appointments and managing the legislator’s calendar.
· Responding to phone calls and emails from constituents and others on behalf of the legislator.
· Facilitating meetings between the legislator and stakeholders/lobbyists, constituents and other interested parties.
· Creating, managing and maintaining databases with information of interest to the legislator (constituent and lobbyist contact info, status of legislation, etc.).
· Providing research on bills and tracking their progress through the legislative process.
· Preparing and editing official communication on the legislator’s behalf.
Qualifications for Legislative Aides:
· A minimum of a high school diploma/GED and one or more years of professional experience in administration and/or customer service.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to effectively engage in research projects.
· Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to work with a variety of people and personalities.
· Ability to communicate with sometimes angry constituents in a calm and professional manner.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools, especially Word and Excel.
· Experience with various social media platforms.
· Excellent time-management skills and demonstrated experience managing calendars and setting appointments, preferably for another person.
· Ability and willingness to work long, sometimes odd hours.
· Commitment to serving the people of Colorado.
Interested individuals should send their resume and writing sample to Susan Raplee, Minority Office Director, at email@example.com. Interviews will begin right away.