All newly hired student employees who have not worked on-campus in the past year are auto-enrolled in Student Employee Orientation through Canvas. Given the often-hectic and varied schedule of our student employees, we designed a course suited to their needs. They can take this training anytime, anywhere. This course is highly interactive with short videos, readings, and reflection questions. It takes 1 hour to 1.5 hours to complete.
We can now provide consistent framing, structure, and procedures for all student employees.
Topics covered in Student Employee Orientation:
- University Structure and Student Employees in the Campus Experience
- Rights & Responsibilities
- DU Values and the 4D Student
- Professional Development & Career Skills
- Student Employees Achieve Training Series
- Policies & Procedures
- Hours & Time Training (PioneerTime)
- Money Matters (Payroll & Taxes)
- Required Paperwork (I9s and more)
- Important Partners like Equal Opportunity & Title IX, Human Resources, & Financial Aid
What’s in it for you:
- Saved time.
- Consistent information for your student employees.
- You can focus your energy on area-specific training for your department.
- Did we mention saved time? You no longer need to create this information or keep it up to date in training materials. We got you.
Action items for you:
- Include Student Employee Orientation in Canvas in your student employee on-boarding training plan for your newly hired student employees (get an example training plan from the Office of Student Employment). We are asking ALL student employees take this training within 30 days of their hire. They may begin this training on their official hire date, no sooner, and this should be paid time.
- If your newly hired student employee does not see the course on their Canvas dashboard within 48 hours of their hire, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check-in with your Student Employee to ensure the course is completed.
- Would you like to check out this course for yourself? Reach out to email@example.com.
Happy orienting to you and your student employees!