Is the concept of a college career office or career advisor new to you? You’re not alone! Most people haven’t had much experience with the concept of career counseling or career coaching until they get to college. Career & Professional Development is a resource dedicated to helping you clarify your major or career goals, secure experiences to achieve your long term goals and we teach students everything they need to know about the steps in the job search, application and interview process no matter what your professional goals.
Below is an overview of what to expect in a meeting with your career advisor and sample questions you can ask in those conversations. This information will help you understand how your career advisor provides different support from an academic advisor or faculty advisor.
- Help students reduce anxiety by clarifying their academic, career and life goals.
- Support students in the exploration and research of major and career options.
- Guide students through the decision-making process through activities and conversations.
- Give students relevant resources and information on careers, majors and job/internship searching.
- Assist students in identifying their skills and strengths and teach students how to talk about these skills and strengths in resumes, cover letters and job interviews.
- Teach students how to gain experience and skills through jobs, internships and volunteering.
- Provide students with the tools needed to secure internships and full-time jobs.
- Help students through the graduate and professional school application process.
What can I expect in a career advising appointment?
- Appointments are scheduled for 30 minutes to one hour. The focus is on you, and your specific career goals or career development needs.
- We will ask you questions regarding your academic background, interests, goals and experiences.
- We will listen to you and help formulate goals and action plans based on your needs.
- We will be respectful of you and are genuinely willing to help.
Career advisors can help you with your job and internship search by…
- Explaining career options for your major.
- Helping you identify careers that match your interests and strengths.
- Teaching you the most successful job search strategies and resources for your field.
- Giving you feedback on your resume and cover letter to ensure you are best representing your skills.
- Teaching you common questions to expect in an interview and how to answer them.
- Practicing interviews with you and providing feedback before a real interview.
- Receive support for the graduate school application process
Possible Questions to Ask Your Career Advisor
- Could you tell me more about your services?
- I am not enjoying my classes and I am not sure if this is the right major for me.
- Could you give me information on starting a… (resume/cover letter /internship search/job search)?
- What are some career options for people with my major? What jobs have graduates secured?
- How much experience do I need before doing an internship? How should I prepare for an internship?
- What is the best way to find jobs/internships with in my major?
- What organizations hire interns or full-time employees from my major?
- I have a job interview coming up soon. What can I expect to be asked? How should I prepare?
- Why do people go to graduate school? Do I need a graduate degree? How do I apply?
- What is networking and how do I get started?
- What should I be doing as a student to ensure I am able to get a good job after graduation?
Schedule an appointment to get tailored career & internship support by calling 303.871.2150 or by logging into PCO, the career event, career appointment, and job/internship posting site for DU students.