TIPS FOR NETWORKING SUCCESS!
Networking can be a great way to meet interesting people and is a good way to discover opportunities. The key to being successful is to expand your thinking and consider networking something that you do on a day-to-day basis. Here are 5 suggestions:
- Connect with DU alumni and learn about their careers at Pioneer Connect. This is a good way to get personal advice, ideas for professional development and career insights. A good way to expand your DU network!
- Attend a Connecting DU or Mentor for a Moment Event! These are fun and casual ways to meet alumni and friends of DU that are in your field. To see upcoming events: https://du.12twenty.com/events#/events/30006101043303
- Volunteer for a cause that interests you. Check out Center for Community Engagement & Service Learning (CCESL) du.edu/ccesl/ for ideas. A fun way to network and give back!
- Attend a DU sporting event and start a conversation with someone sitting by you. That’s networking!
- Send an email or connect on LinkedIn to someone that you met in class, a career fair or a conference. Update them on what you have been doing. Stay in touch with those you meet!
By expanding your views about networking you will start to build meaningful relationships and connections. Networking is not just about going to scheduled networking events, it is a lot more. It’s an effective way to learn more from your community, your fellow students and alumni!
To learn more networking tips schedule an appointment with a career advisor at Pioneer Careers (see Appointments).
Submitted by Patricia Hickman