Summer is a great time to reach out and get to know people that can offer advice on your career! The key to being effective is to expand your thinking and consider making connections as something that you do on a day-to-day basis. By expanding your views this summer, you will start to build meaningful relationships and connections that can provide advice and ideas about your career. It’s an effective way learn more from your community, your fellow students and alumni! Here are 6 suggestions:
- Connect with DU alumni and learn about their careers at www.pioneerconnect.du.edu. This is a good way connect with DU’s network of alumni and get ideas for your professional development as well as industry and career insights.
- Attend a DU athletic event, Denver Pioneers, and start a conversation with someone sitting by you. A fun way to get to know others!
- Volunteer for a cause that interests you. Check out Center for Community Engagement & Service Learning (CCESL) at www.du.edu/ccesl/ for ideas. A great way to connect with people that share similar interests!
- Send an email or connect on LinkedIn to someone that you met in class, a career fair or at a conference. Update them on what you have been doing. Stay in touch with those you have met!
- Learn more about career topics by watching these videos.
- Career & Professional Development is open! Call 303.871.2150 to schedule a time to meet to discuss any career issue—interviewing, job search, salary negotiation, resumes/cover letters, LinkedIn.
By Patricia Hickman