If you’ve ever considered a career in event planning, now would be a great time to act on that interest. As more people follow the trend of spending money on experiences rather than things, there’s a greater demand for quality events and people to plan them.
So what qualities does it take to break into this field?
- Detail-oriented. It’s important for event planners to be able to see the big picture as well as all of the little details. Seeing how each little piece of an event can affect the attendees’ experience crucial to execute on a vision.
- Flexible. It’s also important to be flexible. Client budget constraints and differing vendor schedules can often cause roadblocks/challenges that you’ll need to work around.
- Excellent communication skills. Event planners work with a variety of vendors and clients that all have different goals and personalities. You’re the coordinator that gets everyone on the same page, so it’s important to communicate clearly in addition to building rapport.
- Organized. You can never be too prepared when it comes to planning and managing an event. Staying on top of deadlines can make all the difference when it comes to smooth event execution.
- Calm under pressure. Inevitably, things don’t always go as planned. When that happens, stay relaxed and work through it.
Does this sound like you? Eventbrite developed the following career roadmap for becoming an event planner. They also provide tools to plan events for those looking for additional resources.