When we find the intersection where our strengths and interests meet a need in the world, we create the conditions where we’re motivated to use who we are to impact the world. Pause for a moment and consider this question: What issues or ideas make your heart beat faster, whether because you’re so compelled by them, angered by them or overjoyed by them? Additionally: What social or environmental issues do you ache to see solved? If your answers generated such topics as conservation or sustainability, and human rights or healthcare, just to name a few, then Careers with a Cause will be vital in connecting you to organizations driven by similar values. On Wednesday, April 19th, Careers with a Cause will bring 50 local employers to campus whose mission and work are committed to the social good. If this sounds like your cup of tea, then here are a few steps I’ll encourage you to take to potentially find your match at this spring career and internship fair.
- Go to “Events” on Pioneer Careers and Register for Careers with a Cause
- Research the list of employers to learn about what they do, what their mission and values are, and the type of opportunities they have.
- Make a list of your top 5-10 employers and write one or two sentences about why you’re interested in them.
- Update your resume and take the time to consider your educational and experiential learning that might be relevant to these organizations.
- Reflect on who you are—where have you been, what have you done and what’s important to you?
- Try to find the intersection between your interests, what matters to you and how your skills and knowledge might be relevant to the needs of the organization.
- Write these points down and be prepared to share a brief version of this story as you meet employers during the event.
- Ask for the employer’s business card, or contact info, and then, be sure to follow up with a “Thank You” note within 24-48 hours after the event.
If you’re interested in a career in social impact, check out the resources below to learn more about these industries and discover additional employers whose initiatives may resonate with you. The staff in the Career Center is also here to help with your job and internship search, and in helping you clarify potential career paths. Schedule an appointment on Pioneer Careers, or call the Career Center to get on our calendar at 303-871-2150.
Internship/Job Search Resources
- BCorps (directory of for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency).
- Social Enterprise Alliance (also have a job board)
- Net Impact (Net Impact is a community of more than 60,000 student and professional leaders creating positive social and environmental change in the workplace and the world)
- Net Impact has a local chapter in Denver and a job board)
- Colorado Nonprofit Association (job/internship board)
- Posner Center (Denver hub for international development)
- Green Economy Jobs (each occupation has link to jobs by state accessed at bottom of each occupation’s page)
- Guidestar (Directory of Nonprofits)
- Field/Industry Career Resources
- Backdoorjobs (domestic and international opps)
- Idealist Internships (nonprofit sector, social impact jobs/internships)
- Regeneration Roadmap
By Carolyn Sommers